Monday, September 10, 2007

I have the right to run!

One of the changes to the ethics policy laid out by the Knox County One Question
movement is that no county employee can serve on the Commission.
I am a county employee and I make about $35,000 a year as a juvenile
probation officer and I earn every penny.
So are we saying because of the unethical actions of a few that
I can't run for election of a seat in my own county government?
We all have the right to take a stance and be selected by the people.
I agree that there are some greedy people who don't deserve the
title of public servant, but that is not everyone. I don't believe that
I should be forbidden to serve if I am elected by the people. If you want
to avoid someone being over compensated for their county work set
a limit to how much you can make for the county and still serve, or how
about this.. cut the commissioner's pay by half, or you know what don't pay
them. It is an honor to selected to represent the people shouldn't that be
enough pay. We shouldn't have to change the ethics code, that is why we
hold elections, and I believe strongly in elections!
The people will decide!!

No comments: